What does it mean to be a highly sensitive person?
Highly sensitive people (HSPs) are often described as empaths. They just seem to know how everyone else feels and how to navigate emotionally difficult situations.
They are also often described as “too sensitive”. Others may find an HSP’s depth of expression and observation at odds with their more light-hearted and less intense experience of life.
Both of these descriptions hold some grains of truth — at least for those who aren’t highly sensitive.
How do you know if you’re a highly sensitive person?
In a nutshell, highly sensitive people possess many, if not all, of the following characteristics:
- Often feel like they don’t fit in
- Are VERY aware of everything in their external environment from physical, mental, and emotional standpoints
- Are VERY aware of everything in their inner world including thoughts, emotions, and realizations
- Feel things more strongly than others do
- Have difficulty making friends
- Are sensitive to lights and color
- Frequently experience their nervous system saying all of the stimulation is just too much
- Are deep thinkers
- Are susceptible to anxiety and depression
Being a highly sensitive person can set you apart from others because they don’t have the ability to understand your reality. Frankly, being highly sensitive can be a bit lonely.
Yet it doesn’t have to be. You can learn how to thrive as a highly sensitive person.
How do you deal with being a highly sensitive person?
The first and most important thing to know is that being highly sensitive is NOT a disability. Being an HSP is much like having superpowers. The key is knowing how to use your heightened sensitivity to support you in being your best self.
You have two choices when it comes to gaining this knowledge:
- You can continue to struggle on your own and hope that you’ll figure things out soon.
- You can work with someone like me, a life coach specifically trained to work with highly sensitive people.
Are you ready to learn more about working with an HSP life coach?
If you’d like to explore what coaching with me is like and how it can help you live into your best self, reach out to me now.
“Go Confidently in the Direction of Your Dreams! Live the Live You’ve Imagined.” — Thoreau
**photo in header from Naes Fotos**